Greenwich Housing Society was the brainchild of Miss Barbara Hatfield in 1957. At the time many elderly people were persuaded to move in to nursing homes. Greenwich Housing Society was set up to provide ‘flatlets’ for the elderly as an alternative. Applicants needed a Greenwich connection, be over 60, of small financial means and be able to care for themselves.
GHS was formerly set up in 1958 with funds raised from local businesses, charities and local people. One of the events was a dinner in the House of Commons hosted by the MP for Greenwich, Richard Marsh. The cost was thirty shillings each. (£1.75 today but equivalent to £55.00 in today’s money)
The first property purchased was 51 Vanbrugh Park in 1959, followed by no 52 Vanbrugh Park in 1960, 12 Glenluce was bought in 1967 and St Johns Park Road in 1972.
Construction of Hatfield Court began in 1973 on land acquired from the back gardens of 49 – 53 Vanbrugh Park.
Over the next few years St Johns Park Road and the Vanbrugh Park properties were sold as the upkeep costs had become too costly.
The funds released from the sales were used to refurbish both Glenluce Road and Hatfield Court. Previously funds had been raised through jumble sales, carol concerts and barrel organ playing, plus many other events.
Over the past 60 years the management committee of GHS has worked to continue to fulfil the original objectives of the society from 1957/8.
In 2011 the society decided to engage a professional Housing Manager as the demands of running the society had become more demanding over the years, Mary Loftus joined GHS on a part time basis in 2011 and is known to all residents. GHS also uses the services of Kathy Moss as our Financial Manager.
The Management Committee currently has 9 members and has been Chaired for many years by Dorothy Martin whose determination and commitment have ensured the continued success of GHS. Dorothy stepped aside in 2017, but remains on the committee, the current Chair is Steve Kerridge.